Saturday, October 15, 2011

Canning Salsa


I canned salsa a while ago, but I thought I'd post the recipe here. I would make a few changed next time.  I would use very little sugar, and to make sure they stay good for longer (according to USDA regulations) I should use lemon juice instead of vinegar.  Oh, and 1 cup of jalapenos doesn't make it very hot.  It you want spicy up the peppers by 1/2 cup or more.

The Best Salsa Recipe for Canning

30 tomatoes peeled and chopped
2 green bell peppers
2 red bell peppers
10 cups chopped onions
10 cloves garlic
4-5 yellow banana pepper or 1 cup chopped jalapenos
1/2-3/4 cup sugar
2 cups vinegar
8 teaspoons pickling salt
2 teaspoons black pepper
2 large cans tomato paste

Simmer 1 1/2 hr, stirring often, at the end of cooking time add 1/2 bunch of cilantro if desired.
Jar and process, 35 minutes for pint jars and 45 minutes for quart jars.
Makes 17 pints

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I'm canning salsa today too! Looks yummy:)