Monday, June 16, 2008

Chocolate Decadence Cake

I made this for Father's Day. It was something I thought Aaron might tackle, so I thought he's enjoy it. I had all of the ingredients - except the whipping cream. We just topped it with frozen whipped topping. It probably has way too many calories, but it was so good. We ate 1/4 of it last night, and no one (except me) could finish their serving. It was so rich and dense. A few suggestions on the preparation. Another reviewer mentioned whipping the egg yolks and the egg whites separately (using 1/8 cup sugar in each). This worked nicely. Also you have to have a 10 inch cake pan. I used my 10 -inch springform pan, and it filled it as it rose (the cake also condenses as it cools). An 8 or 9 - inch pan will be too small to fit all the batter in. It also took a lot longer than 40 minutes. I let mine cook for 1 hour, and it probably could have gone longer. I sprinkled powdered sugar on top because I saw that in one of the pictures and thought it might look nice. Anyway.... it was really good. Aaron took the rest to a meeting tonight. He snagged another piece for tonight, but I don't think I should be eating that all week!

Chocolate Decadence Cake

















  • 12 ounces semisweet chocolate chips
  • 4 (1 ounce) squares unsweetened chocolate
  • 1 1/2 cups butter, melted
  • 1 3/4 cups white sugar
  • 1/2 cup water
  • 7 eggs
  • 2 cups whipped cream
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a 10 inch round pan and line bottom with parchment paper.
  2. Chop chocolate squares and place in a large bowl with chocolate chips. Add melted butter. Heat water and 1 1/2 cups sugar in a saucepan until boiling, then pour over chocolate. Stir until smooth.
  3. In a separate bowl, whip eggs with remaining 1/4 cup sugar until thick. Fold into chocolate mixture. Pour batter into 10 inch pan.
  4. Place 10 inch pan on a cookie sheet in the oven and fill the cookie sheet with water.
  5. Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 40 to 50 minutes. Remove from oven. Cool and refrigerate for several hours. Be extremely careful not to burn yourself on the hot water when removing the sheet pan from the oven. (I left the sheet pan of water in the oven until it cooled off)
  6. Dip the pan in hot water to remove cooled cake. (I have a springform pan where the sides can be removed - so I didn't dip it in hot water). Garnish with whipped cream and serve.

No comments: