Monday, October 6, 2008

Dutch Oven Enchilada casserole

I got this recipe from my MIL. It is great in the dutch oven, but you can also bake it in a 9x13 baking dish. I often halve it for my family and just use the whole can of tomato soup with out the water. I also skimp on the ground beef a bit. I know I've made this more recently, so I don't know why I haven't posted it yet. I also didn't have enchilada sauce, so I made my own with this recipe.

2 lb ground beef
1 tsp salt
1 large onion, chopped
1 can tomato soup (10 3/4 oz)
2 cans enchilada sauce (10 oz each)
1 can water (10 oz)
flour tortillas
1/2 lb grated cheddar cheese

Brown ground beef, salt and onion. Drain fat. Add tomato soup, enchilada sauce and simmer together. Place 1 cup sauce on bottom of dutch oven, Then layer tortillas over the sauce (I break them up so the fit), then sprinkle cheese and repeat ending with cheese on top. Bake over coals (or in in oven at 350 degrees F) for 30 - 40 minutes.

No comments: