Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Black Bean and Corn Salad

OK, I'm trying something new here. I Haven't been really good about taking pictures of the meals I prepare. Lately I've been following a recipe blog that I love! I've been trying some of the recipes she has featured. She has inspired me to do more step by step pictures. So here is my first attempt to do so. I don't have a fabulous camera - just point and shoot, so the pictures aren't that great. Maybe this will convince me to invest in a better camera. Someday...

Black Bean and Corn Salad

  • 1/3 cup fresh lime juice
  • 1/2 cup olive oil
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
  • 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen corn kernels
  • 1 avocado - peeled, pitted and diced
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 tomatoes, chopped
  • 6 green onions, thinly sliced
  • 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro (optional)

  1. Place lime juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, and cayenne pepper in a small jar. Cover with lid, and shake until ingredients are well mixed.
  2. In a salad bowl, combine beans, corn, avocado, bell pepper, tomatoes, green onions, and cilantro. Shake lime dressing, and pour it over the salad. Stir salad to coat vegetables and beans with dressing, and serve.
So here's what I started with (minus the cayenne pepper - I forgot to put that in the picture). Notice I didn't use cilantro. Aaron doesn't like it. I sometimes substitute fresh parsley for coloring, but I didn't have any. Also, no fresh limes today, and I didn't have any frozen corn, canned worked just fine.

Dressing ready to go!

I drain and rinse my beans in my trusty colander. The corn goes in too!

Everything is all chopped

Mixed together with the dressing!

Pretty simple and very delicious!!!

1 comment:

Emily Burnette said...

Emma! I never knew you had such a great food blog :) Thanks for sharing! I will definitely be back to visit and I'm looking forward to trying your recipes :)