Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Chicken Noodle Soup

I made this on Monday. I was feeling ambitious and almost made my own noodles. But I ran out of time. I had the chicken bones from the chicken we roasted on Sunday. I made a chicken broth with that in the morning and made the soup quickly in the evening.
I got the recipe from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook. I didn't have frozen vegetables. I just used carrots.

4 1/2 cups chicken broth
1/2 c chopped onion
1/2 tsp dried basil, crushed
1/2 tsp dried oregano, crushed
1/4 tsp pepper
1 bay leaf
1 10 oz pkg frozen mixed vegetables
1/2 c medium noodles or other small pasta
2 c cubed cooked chicken or turkey
1 14.5 oz can tomatoes, cut up

In a large saucepan combine chicken broth, onion, basil, oregano, pepper, and bay leaf. Stir in vegetables (I had cooked carrots from making the broth and added them with the chicken at the end). Bring to a boil; stir in uncooked noodles. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer 8 minutes or till noodles are tender but still firm and vegetables are crisp tender. Discard bay leaf. Stir in chicken or turkey and undrained tomatoes; heat through.

No comments: