Monday, January 19, 2009

Orange Bowknots

I have neglected this blog. The holidays were busy, and then I got sick, and finding new recipes was the least of my worries - but I'm back for a few recipes.
I made this yesterday for our ward linger longer. So yummy. It gave me the hint of citrus that I have missed since my stomach issues. I got it from the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook.

  • 5 1/4 to 5 3/4 cups all purpose flour
  • 1 pkg active dry yeast
  • 1 1/4 c. milk
  • 1/2 c butter or margarine or shortening
  • 1/3 c sugar
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 Tbsp. finely shredded orange peel
  • 1/4 c. orange juice
Orange Icing
In a small mixing bowl combine 1 c. sifted powdered sugar and 1 tsp finely shredded orange peel. Stir in enough orange juice (1 to 2 Tbsp) to make icing easy to drizzle.
  1. In a large mixing bowl combine 2 cups flour and yeast; set aside. In a medium saucepan heat and stir the milk, butter, sugar and salt just till warm (102 - 130 degrees F) and butter almost melts. Add milk mixture to dry mixture along with eggs. Beat with an electric mixer on low to medium speed 30 seconds, scraping bowl. Beat on high speed for 3 minutes, Using a wooden spoon, stir in the orange peel, orange juice and remaining flour (I use the dough hook on my stand mixer).
  2. Knead for 3 to 5 minutes or until dough is smooth and elastic. Shape dough into a ball. Place in a lightly greased bowl, turning once to coat. Cover and let rise in a warm place until nearly double in size - about1 hour.
  3. Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half. Cover and let rise 10 minutes. Meanwhile, lightly grease two large baking sheets; set aside.
  4. Roll each half into a 12x7-inch rectangle. cut each rectangle into twelve 7-inch long strips. Tie each strip into a loose knot. Arrange knots 2 inches apart on prepared baking sheets. Cover and let rise in a warm place till nearly double in size (about 30 minutes).
  5. Bake in a 400 degree F oven about 12 minutes or till golden. Immediatey remove rolls from baking sheets. Let cool on wire racks. Drizzle with Orange Icing.

No comments: