Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Mexican Rice

I found this in my MIL's new neighborhood cookbook. Submitted by Jackie M* I did it as written and it turned out great. The lid wasn't on very tight, so it didn't cook very well. I had to cook it a little longer, and it was perfect. I added some sour cream to it, and I loved it.

3 Tbsp vegetable oil
1 c. uncooked white rice
1 tsp. garlic salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. chili powder
1/4 c. chopped onion
1/4 c. tomato sauce
1/4 c. salsa
2 c. strong chicken broth

Heat oil in large sauce pan over medium heat and add rice. Cook, stirring constantly, until puffed and lightly golden. While rice is cooking, sprinkle with garlic salt, cumin and chili powder. Stir in onion and cook until tender. Stir in tomato sauce, salsa, and chicken broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 20 to 25 minutes. Fluff with fork. If you like spice, add extra cumin and chili powder, and use hot salsa.

No comments: