Wednesday, May 9, 2007

Jambalaya

Sorry it has been so long since I have posted. Everything I have made this past week has either been stuff I've already posted, or stuff like hot dogs. I am running low on food, and I can't justify buying things for a new recipe, because we leave in two weeks!!!
But a friend of mine posted this recipe on her blog, and I pretty much had everything for so I tried it. Soooo good.
Jambalaya
1 rib chopped celery
1/4-1/2 c. chopped onion
1/2 green sweet pepper, chopped
2 Tbs. margarine or butter
1 14.5-oz. can stewed tomatoes, cut up
2 c. chicken broth
1 c. water
2 c. long grain rice
1 tsp. dried basil or thyme, crushed
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. pepper
1/2 tsp. bottled hot pepper sauce (adjust according to preference-- this amount is quite mild)
Salt, to taste
1 bay leaf
1 lb. smoked sausage
2 c. cubed chicken or turkey

Slice sausage into disks, and sautee in a large skillet till brown. Meanwhile, chop celery, onion, and pepper. Remove sausage from skillet and set aside. Cook vegetables in margarine or butter till vegetables are tender but not brown.

Stir in undrained (and cut up) tomatoes, chicken broth, water, uncooked rice, basil or thyme, garlic powder, pepper, hot sauce, salt, and bay leaf. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Cover and simmer about 20 minutes or till rice is tender. Stir in cooked chicken and sausage; heat through. Discard bay leaf. Serves 6-8.

Note:The sausage I had was a little spicy for the kids, but Aaron and I loved it. I did need a little more liquid for the rice, and I used up the frozen bag of onions and peppers, so no green peppers for me. My tomatoes also weren't stewed, but canned seemed to work just fine.

No comments: