Friday, January 6, 2012

Minestrone Soup

This is the soup I made for the Relief Society dinner.  I did use vegetable broth, but it would be good with chicken broth as well.  I didn't use quite as much cabbage as it called for., and I substituted garbanzo beans for the kidney beans, and shell pasta for the orzo pasta, and I didn't have any zucchini.  Wow, I didn't realize I'd changed the recipe that much.  But it was delicious!

Minestrone Soup

Ingredients

  • 4 cups vegetable stock
  • 2 (14.5 ounce) cans stewed tomatoes
  • 1 large potato, cubed
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 2 stalks celery, chopped
  • 2 carrots, chopped
  • 1 large head cabbage, finely chopped
  • 2 tablespoons Italian seasoning
  • 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
  • 3 cups fresh corn kernels
  • 1 large zucchini, sliced
  • 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
  • salt and pepper to taste

Directions

  1. In a large soup pot combine the vegetable stock, the undrained tomatoes, potato, onion, celery, carrot, cabbage and Italian seasoning. Bring to a boil and reduce heat. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
  2. Stir in the beans, corn, zucchini and pasta; simmer for 10 to 15 more minutes until the vegetables are tender. Season with salt and pepper.

No comments: