Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Baked Chicken and Zucchini

While at my SIL's house we raided their garden (with their permission of course). They had a plethora of zucchini and tomatoes among other things. So I went to the trusty allrecipes.com and found this. I only used two chicken breasts and cut them into quarters. I didn't need as many bread crumbs. Other reviewers suggested using seasoned breadcrumbs, and since I make my own I added garlic salt, pepper, Parmesan cheese. Since the zucchini I had were large I only used two. I thought it was really good, but Aaron thought it needed a little more seasoning. He added salt and pepper and said it was good. I also didn't saute the zucchini very long. Just long enough to get the flavor from the oil.

Ingredients
  • 1 egg
  • 1 tablespoon water
  • 3/4 teaspoon salt, divided
  • 1/8 teaspoon pepper
  • 1 cup dry bread crumbs
  • 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
  • 5 medium zucchini, sliced
  • 4 medium tomatoes, sliced
  • 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
  • 2 teaspoons minced fresh basil

Directions
  1. In a shallow bowl, beat egg, water, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper. Set aside 2 tablespoons bread crumbs. Place the remaining crumbs in a large resealable plastic bag. Dip chicken in egg mixture, then place in bag and shake to coat.
  2. In a skillet, cook chicken in 2 tablespoons oil for 2-3 minutes on each side or until golden brown; remove and set aside. In the same skillet, saute zucchini in remaining oil until crisp-tender; drain. Transfer to a greased 13-in. x 9-in. x 2-in. baking dish.
  3. Sprinkle the reserved bread crumbs over the zucchini. Top with tomato slices; sprinkle with 2/3 cup mozzarella cheese, basil and remaining salt. Top with chicken. Cover and bake at 400 degrees F for 25 minutes. Uncover; sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake 10 minutes longer or until cheese is melted.

No comments: