Thursday, September 27, 2007

Farfalle with Fresh Tomato Sauce

One last summer dish. I had to use the rest of the tomatoes. I seeded, but didn't peel the tomatoes. I didn't have quite 1/2 c of basil. I used too much garlic and the kids didn't like it. But I thought it was good. I would use a smaller clove next time.

4 large tomatoes (about 2 lbs) peeled and seeded and then cut into 1/2 inch cubes
1/2 c. fresh basil, julienned reserve a few whole leaves for garnish
3 Tbsp. chopped red onion
3 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 clove garlic, finely minced
3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. fresh ground black pepper
1/2 lb farfalle pasta (bowtie)

To make the sauce, in a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, julienned basil, onion, olive oil, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Toss gently to mix.
Fill a large pot 3/4 full with water and bring to a boil. Add the farfalle and cook until al dente, 10-12 minutes or according to package directions. Drain the pasta thoroughly.
Serve noddles with sauce on top. Garnish with fresh basil leaf.

From The New Mayo Clinic Cookbook

No comments: