Sunday, June 17, 2007

Cheesecake

So last night I made a cheesecake for Aaron for Father's day. I guess I never really told this part of the story before. Before we started dating he brought me a plate of cookies (that he baked) for my birthday but I wasn't there. To thank him I wanted to make something for him. So I brought back his plate with a cheesecake. And the rest is history! I think this recipe is from the Better Homes and Gardens book, but it's been in my recipe box for so long I don't remember. For the first time I tried it in a springform pan and it turned out great. It also works in a 9-inch pie pan.

2 pkg 8 oz cream cheese
2 eggs
3/4 c. sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. lemon peel

Soften cream cheese. (This is essential if you want it smooth!) Cream eggs, sugar, vanilla and cream cheese together, until smooth. Mix in lemon peel. Pour into crust. Bake at 325 F for 35 minutes.

A trick I just learned is to turn off the oven and let it sit in the oven with the door ajar until it is set. Then it doesn't brown on the top but it cooks thoroughly.

I also make my own crust
Graham cracker crust:

16 squares graham crackers
2 Tbsp. sugar
1/4 c. butter or margarine, melted

Mix together and press into bottom and sides of a 9 inch pie pan. In the springform pan I just put the crust on the bottom.
You can top it however you like. We like the cherry topping, or fresh strawberries or raspberries. Endless possibilities.

No comments: