Monday, June 25, 2007

Chicken Enchiladas

I know practically everyone has their own recipe for this, but I thought I'd post the one I use. I got it from a course I took in college. I highly recommend it! Family Meal Management. There were two sections and only one guy between the two of them. We met once a week and cooked dinner together. There's a lot more to it, but that's where I got this recipe, from one of the girls in my group. I've changed it some, but the basic stuff is the same.

8 tortillas
1 cup chicken, cooked and diced or shredded
1/2 c. onion, diced
1 c. shredded cheese
1 4 oz can diced green chilies
1 can cream of chicken soup
8 oz sour cream



Okay it's not my picture
The basic idea is to put chicken, cheese, onions, and chilies in the tortillas - reserve some cheese and chilies for the top. Roll them and place them in a 9x13 greased pan. Mix the sour cream and cream of chicken together and spread over the top of the tortillas. Then sprinkle some more cheese and chilies over the top. Bake at 350 F for 25 minutes or until bubbly.
You can add more chicken, cheese etc. to your liking (and budget). I will also saute the onions a little to add flavor and minimize the bite. Other recipes use more sour cream, but I'm cheap and it helps cut down on how much I'm eating.
I have made this with fat free sour cream and reduced fat cream of chicken soup and it still tastes fine. It might not be gourmet, but it's yummy and easy.

1 comment:

Queen of the Castle said...

I wonder if it came in handy for that guy later, I bet it did. Sometimes I wish Jamie had taken a class like that. Oh, well. He makes a mean pesto! I love enchiladas, thanks for posting it!