Sunday, June 17, 2007

White bread

Since the baking is so good up here Aaron asked if I would make some bread. It turned out pretty good. I always wondered why mine didn't turn out like his Moms. Now it does!

2 1/2 c. warm water
1/3 c. powdered milk (I only put this in if I have some laying around)
1 egg
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. oil
1/2 Tbsp. salt
1 1/2 Tbsp. yeast
6-8 c. flour


Again I will elaborate on the instructions. Put the yeast and warm water in the mixing bowl. Let dissolve and and remaining ingredients with flour one cup at a time. Knead for 10 minutes. My Kitchen-Aid is small so I can mix in about 5 cups of flour before I have to knead it by hand. Place in a bowl and let rise until double (about an hour).

Grease loaf pans. Separate and form* into into three 1 lb loaves - or two 1 1/2 lb loaves depending on the size of your loaf pan - and place into greased pans. Let rise until double - about 30 minutes. Bake at 350 F for 20 minutes or until golden. I spray the tops with a little cooking spray when I take them out. They look shiny and stay moist.




* a hint on forming the dough: You want to knead it a little to get the air bubbles out. To keep the top of the loaf smooth take the outer ends of the dough and push the toward the center leaving a smooth edge on the top and the folded edge on the bottom.

No comments: