Monday, January 7, 2008

Angel Food Cake

I made my first Angel Food Cake from scratch last night. It was Aaron's request, since I was looking for something to make in my new tube pan. The recipe comes from the Better Homes and Garden Cook book. It takes a bit of prep, but it's so good!

1 1/2 cups eggs whites (10-12 large eggs)
1 1/2 cups sifted powdered sugar
1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup granulated sugar

In am extra-large mixing bowl (they aren't kidding) allow egg white to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes. Meanwhile sift powdered sugar and flour together 3 times.
Add cream of tartar and vanilla to egg whites. Beat with an electric mixer on medium speed till soft peaks form. Gradually add granulated sugar about 2 tablespoons at a time.
Sift about one-fourth of the dry-mixture over beaten egg whites, fold in gently. Repeat, folding in remaining dry mixture by fourths. Pour in ungreased 10-inch tube pan. Gently cut through batter to remove any large air pockets.
Bake on the lowest rack in a 350 F oven for 40 -45 minutes or till top springs back when touched. immediately invert cake and let cool completely (about 2 hours). Loosen sides of cake pan, remove cake.

A few notes: I thought I had messed it up when I got it to stiff peaks with out the sugar, but it turned out fine. I only had one bad air pocket on the bottom (the top when you turn it over). Not bad for my first time.

No comments: