Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Creamy Corn and Garlic Risotto

This was so easy, fast and delicious! Very cheesy, but no meat. I actually had some fresh parsley that has survived the winter so far (the chives and basil are long gone). I only used 3 cloves of garlic, but I could have used 4 and the kids wouldn't have cared. I used regular long-grain rice and I trusted the recipe when it said to simmer UNCOVERED, and they were right, it does cook the rice, so all was well. I cut back on the Parmesan cheese a little and used 1/2 cup Italian blend cheese instead of plain mozzarella (the Italian blend was almost gone and I didn't want to open a new bag of mozzarella).

3 3/4 cup vegetable or chicken broth
4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 cup uncooked Arborio or regular medium grain white rice
3 cups frozen whole kernel corn
1/2 c grated Parmesan cheese
1/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley

Heat 1/3 cup of the broth to boiling in 10 inch skillet. Cook garlic in broth 1 minute, stirring occasionally. Stir in rice and frozen corn. Cook 1 minute, stirring occasionally.

Stir in remaining broth. Heat to boiling; reduce heat to medium. Cook uncovered 15-20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until rice is tender and creamy; remove from heat.

Stir in cheese and parsley.

From Better Crocker's Quick & Easy cookbook.

No comments: