Friday, January 18, 2008

Mediterranean Couscous and Beans

This comes from my new Betty Crocker Cookbook. I thought it was good, and Aaron said it needed more spice. I would agree. The kids wouldn't eat it. Although Timothy did pick out the raisins and some of the garbanzo beans. Part of that stemmed from the fact that my feta cheese had gone bad and I had to substitute mozzarella. It would have been much better with the feta. If I made this again I would be sure to have fresh feta and play with the spices a little, maybe some garlic, or flavored couscous. It is also VERY fast (as long as you used canned beans- soaked and cooked dry beans).

3 cups vegetable or chicken broth
2 cups uncooked couscous 1/2 c raisins or currants
1/4 tsp pepper
1/8 tsp ground red pepper(cayenne)
1 small tomato, chopped (1/2 c)
1 can (15-16 oz) garbanzo beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 c crumbled feta cheese


Heat broth to boiling in 3 qt-saucepan. Stir in remaining ingredients except cheese; remove from heat.
Cover and let stand about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed; stir gently.
Sprinkle each serving with cheese.

No comments: