Monday, January 14, 2008

Cheese Manicotti with Spinach

When our friends moved to Chicago they gave us all of their opened food they couldn't take with them. I had a half a box of manicotti with only 7 shells, so I had to make this when Aaron wasn't here, or I couldn't feed everyone. I'm out of ground beef at the moment, so this is what I found. I used cottage cheese instead of ricotta, and topped it with Mozzarella instead of more Parmesan. I didn't have any marinara, or spaghetti sauce, so I made the marinara sauce below - with modifications of course. I actually had a picture to go with this, but I can't upload the pictures until Aaron re-installs Nikon View. I'll update it later.

Cheese Manicotti with Spinach

8 manicotti shells
2 cups ricotta cheese
3 oz cream cheese
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese
1/4 c. parsley
1 egg
2 green onions, sliced
1/2 tsp. salt
2 cups marinara sauce
1/4 c. Parmesan cheese
1 (10 oz) pkg frozen chopped spinach

  1. Cook manicotti shells in boiling, salted water until barely tender (package directions). Rinse with cold water. Drain.
  2. Combine cheeses, parsley, egg, onion and salt; mixing well.
  3. Fill shells with cheese mixture.
  4. Arrange in lightly oiled baking dish.
  5. Cover with marinara sauce.
  6. Sprinkle with additional 1/4 cup Parmesan.
  7. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 - 30 minutes.
  8. Meanwhile, cook spinach according to package directions. DRAIN WELL.
  9. Spoon down center of baked manicotti just before serving.
  10. Garnish with parsley.

Marinara sauce

  1. 1(28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
  2. 1-1/2 teaspoons minced garlic
  3. 1 teaspoon white sugar
  4. 1 teaspoon dried parsley
  5. 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  6. 1/4 teaspoon salt
  7. 1/8 teaspoon dried oregano
  8. 1/8 teaspoon dried basil
  9. 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
Mix all ingredients in a medium sauce pan and simmer for 20 minutes.

No comments: