Saturday, February 16, 2008

Salsa-Rice Burritos

This was quick and easy, even without instant rice. It came from my Betty Crocker cook book. I used a 14 oz can of corn drained, and chopped up some red and yellow peppers (about 1/4 c). I don't think I used that much cheese. I had a half of an avocado and that went very nicely on top. I thought it would be too spicy for the kids, but it wasn't.

1 1/2 cups salsa, plus additional if desired
1 1/2 tsp chili powder
1 c uncooked instant rice
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can (11 oz) whole kernal corn with red and green peppers, undrained
1 1/2 c. shredded cheddar cheese (6 oz)
8 flour tortillas (8 inches in diameter)

Heat 1 1/2 cups salsa and the chili powder to boiling in 10 inch skillet. Stir in rice; remove from heat. Cover and let stand 5 minutes. * see note if you don't have instant rice* Stir in beans, corn and cheese.
Spoon about 1/2 c rice mixture onto center of each tortilla. fold up bottom of each tortilla; fold over sides. Secure with toothpick if necessary, Serve with additional salsa.

*I used regular rice so I added 1/2 c of water to the salsa and cooked it for 20 minutes.

No comments: