Sunday, February 24, 2008

Stove-Top Lasagna

I made this last night. It's from my Betty Crocker cookbook. As usual I didn't have the exact ingredients, so I substituted and improvised. I only had half of a red pepper (no green), and only about 4 oz of mushrooms. I didn't have tomato pasta sauce, so I used a can (14.5 oz) of Italian Style tomatoes and 8 oz of tomato sauce. I also didn't have Italian seasoning, so I added some Rosemary and marjoram. After tasting it I added basil, oregano, parsley, black pepper, and garlic powder. And I only had mozzarella for the cheese. Is that enough changes for ya?

1 lb bulk Italian sausage
1 green pepper, sliced (oops I chopped mine)
1 pkg (8 oz) mushrooms, sliced
1 medium onion, chopped (1/2 c.)
3 cups uncooked mafalda (mini-lasagna noodle) pasta (6 oz) - I actually had this because I found it at Grocery Outlet really cheap - the sausage came from there too!
2 1/2 c. water
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
1 jar (26-30 oz) chunky tomato pasta sauce (any variety)
1 c. 4-blend Italian or shredded mozzarella cheese (4 oz) -

Cook sausage, pepper, mushrooms and onion in a 12-inch skillet or 4-qt dutch oven over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, until sausage is no longer pink; drain.
Stir in remaining ingredients, except cheese. Heat to boiling, stirring occasionally; reduce heat. Simmer uncovered about 10 minutes or until pasta is tender. Sprinkle with cheese (I just sprinkled a little on each serving).

No comments: