Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Chicken a la King

I haven't made this in a long time, but I had celery and mushrooms that need to be used up, and I wasn't in the mood for stuffing, so I pulled out this recipe from Jo Ann L*s cookbook
I pretty much followed it exactly. I didn't have slivered almonds, and I used fresh mushrooms.

1/2 c. butter or margarine
1 c chopped celery
4 oz can mushrooms or fresh sliced
1/2 c. flour
2 c. chicken broth
2 c. diced cooked chicken
1 c. milk
1 Tbsp. parsley flakes
cooked rice
slivered almonds, for garnish

Melt butter in a large skillet. Add celery and mushrooms. Saute until tender. Stir in flour and let simmer 1 minute. Slowly add chicken broth. Cook about 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly until thick. Add diced chicken, milk and parsley. Simmer 10 minutes. Serve over hot cooked rice or in baked puff pastry shells. Garnish with slivered almonds, if desired. Makes 6 servings.

No comments: