Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Sweet and sour chicken

I got this recipe from my new cookbook (my MIL's neighborhood cookbook she gave me for my birthday). I played around with a couple of recipes. I omitted the green pepper because I didn't have any. Otherwise I would have used it. I only used a couple of chicken breasts.

1 tsp salt
6 Tbsp. cornstarch
1 egg
A little water
4 chicken breasts

sauce:
1/4 c. ketchup
1 green pepper, diced
1/3 c. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. white vinegar
1/4 c. pineapple juice
1 Tbsp. soy sauce

Cut chicken into pieces. Mix salt, egg, cornstarch and a little water. Add chicken. Mix until chicken is covered. Cook in hot oil until browned.
For sauce: mix all ingredients together. Bring to a boil over med-high heat. Then to thicken, mix in 2 Tbsp cornstarch mixed with a little water; stir until mixture reaches desired thickness.

No comments: