Saturday, May 2, 2009

Classic 100% whole wheat bread

I got this off of the flour bag. I can't find one of my recipe books that has my favorite wheat bread recipe. I know I had it when we moved. I used it a couple of times, but a week later it went missing. So this will have to do for now. OK, so I like to cut corners. I just put all the water in and let the yeast sit in all the water. And I've never baked a loaf of bread longer than 30 minutes. This one went 25 minutes (no foil needed). So we'll see if it's any good.

2 1/2 tsp instant yeast ( 1 pkg active dry yeast) dissolved in 2 Tbsp water
1 1/3 cups water
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup honey, molasses or maple syrup
3 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
1/4 c nonfat dry milk
1 1/4 tsp salt

In a large bowl, combine all of the ingredients and stir till the dough starts to leave the side of the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly greased surface, oil your hands, and knead it for 6 to 8 minutes, or until it begins to become smooth and supple. (You can use bread machine or electric stand mixer). Transfer dough to a lightly greased bowl, cover the bowl, and allow to rise till puffy though not necessarily until doubled in bulk, about 60 minutes.
Transfer the dough to a lightly oiled surface and shape it into an 8 inch log. Place log into 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 inch loaf pan, cover the pan loosely with plastic wrap and allow the bread to rise for about 1 hour or until it's crowned about 1 inch above the edge of the pan.
Bake the bread in a preheated 350 F oven for about 40 minutes tenting it slightly with aluminum foil after 20 minutes. Remove the bread from oven and cool it on a wire rack before slicing.

No comments: