Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Fudgenut bars

I found this recipe in my new cookbook (from my MIL, her neighborhood cookbook). It was really yummy. However I tried to fit it in a 10x15 cookie sheet and it was not working, so I put it in a 9x13 baking dish and baked it about 5 minutes longer.

1 c. margarine
2 c. brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla
2 1/2 c. flour
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. salt
3 c. quick rolled oats

Cream margarine and brown sugar. Add eggs and vanilla. Beat well. Add dry ingredients. Mix together, set aside.

Fudgenut filling:
1 (12 oz) pkg semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 can sweetened condensed milk
2 Tbsp. butter or margarine
1 c. chopped nuts
1 tsp. vanilla

Melt butter, chocolate chips and milk in a saucepan over low heat, stirring constantly until completely melted. Remove from heat. Mix in nuts and vanilla.

Spread about 2/3 of the oatmeal mixture in 9x13 pan (I greased it). Then pour fudgenut mixture evenly over dough. Dot the remaining dough over top of the fudgenut mixture. Bake in 350 F oven for 25 to 30 minutes. Cool.

No comments: