Sunday, March 11, 2007

Classic Spaghetti Sauce

Here's one of my favorite recipes. We have this quite often (tonight included). I found it in the Better Homes and Gardens Recipe Book, but I have modified it what I usually have on hand. This usually feeds my little family of four (two young boys, husband and me). And there is usually leftovers unless we feed the missionaries that day!


Classic Spaghetti Sauce (I think this is a better picture than I had before!)






1/2 lb. pork sausage (or ground beef if I'm out)
1/2 c. onion, chopped
1/4 c. celery, chopped (I didn't have any today so I left it out)
1/4 c. green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1 14.5 oz can of tomatoes, chopped
1 8 oz. can of tomato sauce
1 tsp. dried parsley (I use fresh if I have it)
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/4 tsp. dried marjoram
1/2 tsp. white sugar
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. ground black pepper

In a large sauce pan brown sausage, onion, celery, pepper, and garlic, over medium high heat, until the sausage is fully cooked, and vegetables are soft. Drain fat and return to stove. Add remaining ingredients, stir. Cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer 30 minutes. Uncover and simmer 10 more minutes or until desired thickness.
This goes with about 10-12 oz of pasta. You can always cook the amount of pasta you will eat that night, save the leftover sauce and cook up some more pasta later.

I usually pair this with garlic bread or breadsticks, and a green salad, and some kind of veggie, tonight it's broccoli.

1 comment:

Audra said...

I am excited to try this sauce! I haven't found a favorite spaghetti sauce yet - maybe this will be it! It does sound (and look)really good.

I am excited for your future recipes!