Friday, December 7, 2007

Nutty Toffee

I got this recipe from our HP ward cookbook. Channing D* submitted it. We got to sample some four years ago. This is the first time I've made this recipe. I altered it a little. Of all the goodies I've made this is the one I keep snacking on. Maybe that's because it's not as securely covered ;)

1 c. butter
1/4 c. water
1 c. sugar
1/4 c. corn syrup
1 c. chopped nuts (almonds, pecans etc - I used walnuts)
1/2 c. semisweet chocolate chips (a chopped milk chocolate bar would work great, but I didn't have one)

Combine first 4 ingredients in a saucepan over medium heat. Melt and bring to a boil, stirring constantly for about 7-10 minutes or until mixture turns a golden brown, becomes fluffy and starts to smoke. (I waited longer it never got to 275 F but it was golden brown, it seemed to turn out good) Removed from heat and mix in the nuts. Spread the mixture evenly on a greased cookie sheet. Sprinkle chocolate over toffee and spread as it melts. Score the toffee with a knife (into 1 inch squares) and let set for 5- 10 minutes (outside if it's cold!). Take toffee pieces off tray, break into pieces and enjoy!

No comments: