Sunday, December 30, 2007

Monkey Bread

I couldn't find a monkey bread recipe that didn't use refrigerated biscuits, or a bread machine. Since I didn't have either, I made up this recipe gleaning from other recipes. David really wanted Monkey bread, and I really wanted to use my tube pan that I got for Christmas.

  • A batch of my MIL's roll recipe
  • 1/2 cup white sugar
  • 1 teaspoons ground cinnamon
  • 1/2 cup margarine
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup chopped nuts (optional)
  • Make the rolls and let rise for 2 hours or until double.
  • Grease one 9 or 10 inch tube pan.
  • Mix white sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.
  • Divide the dough in 64 pieces and roll in cinnamon and sugar.
  • Arrange pieces in the bottom of the prepared pan. Continue until all dough is placed in pan. (Until pan is about 2/3 full.) If using nuts, arrange them in and among the dough as you go along.
  • In a small saucepan, melt the margarine with the brown sugar over medium heat. Boil for 1 minute. Pour over the dough.
  • Let rise, covered, for 30-45 minutes.
  • Bake at 350 degrees F (175 degrees C) for 35 minutes. Let bread cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a plate. Do not cut! The bread just pulls apart.

No comments: