Sunday, April 8, 2007

Basic Roll Dough

This is a favorite. I got this from my MIL. It's really yummy!!!

1 Tbsp. yeast
1/4 c. warm water
1 c. milk, warmed (1 min. in the microwave will do it)
1/4 c. sugar
1/4 c. shortening
1 tsp. salt
3 1/2 c. flour
1 egg

Soften yeast in warm water, set aside. Combine milk, sugar, salt and shortening. Cool to lukewarm. Add 1 1/2 c. flour, beat well. Beat in yeast and egg. Gradually add remaining flour. Cover and let rise two hours.
Turn out on lightly floured surface. Shape rolls (I usually tear off a small piece and form a ball by pushing the dough with my right thumb, through a circle formed by my thumb and forefinger on my left hand - I'm sorry if that's really confusing. Now I wish I could add a video demonstration - sorry no camera) Place on greased cookie sheet close together- they will rise and squish (is that a real word?) together. Let rise until doubled (about 30-45 minutes). Bake at 400 F for 12-15 minutes.
When I take them out I'll spray them with a non-stick cooking spray - it prevents them from getting too hard and makes them shiny. I also usually use half wheat flour and half white.

No comments: