Sunday, April 15, 2007

Lasagna

Perhaps you all have a lasagna recipe. This is one that I originally got from JoAnn L* (a great aunt of Aaron's). She gave us a recipe book she published when we got married. I have changed it enough to make it my own. Here it is:

1 lb. ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
1/2 tsp. salt
pepper to taste
1 tsp. oregano
1/2 tsp. Italian seasoning
2 Tbsp. flour
1 can tomato soup
1 soup can water
8 oz. tomato sauce
8 oz box of lasagna noodles
2 beaten eggs
1 lb. cottage cheese (I use fat-free)
1/2 c. Parmesan cheese, grated
2 Tbsp. dried parsley (or 1/4 c. of the fresh stuff, chopped)
8 oz. mozzarella cheese, grated

For the meat sauce: Brown meat, onion and garlic together until meat is no longer pink and onion is tender. Add salt, pepper, oregano, Italian seasoning and flour. Mix well then add tomato soup, water and tomato sauce. Simmer 15 minutes.
Meanwhile prepare noodles according to package directions. Rinse and drain.
Beat together the eggs, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese and parsley.
To Layer, spread 1 cup of meat sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish. Place 1/2 of the noodles overlapped, 1/2 cottage cheese mixture and 1/2 the mozzarella, 1/2 the remaining meat sauce. Repeat with remaining noodles, cottage cheese, mozzarella and meat sauce. I also sprinkle a little more mozzarella on top of the meat sauce. Bake at 350 F for 45 minutes or until hot and bubbly. Cut into squares to serve.

I know ricotta cheese is more authentic, it is also more expensive and more fattening, so I don't use it. This is really good with breadsticks, salad and any other veggie. It is also really great to make ahead of time (the night before or morning of) and throw it in the oven an hour before dinner. I'm told my lasagna is famous - maybe it's my recipe!

No comments: