Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Waffles

I can't believe it has been so long since I have made waffles! I used to make them once a week! But they aren't that healthy, so I do it less often. It takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. We love them here! I got the recipe from the Better Homes and Garden cookbook.

1 3/4c. flour
1 Tbsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
2 eggs, separated
1/2 c. oil
1 3/4 c. milk
In a large bowl mix together dry ingredients. Add egg yolks, oil and milk all at once and mix until just incorporated. In a medium bowl, beat the egg whites, with beaters, on high, until stiff peaks form (I plug in the waffle iron just before I start to beat the egg whites). Gently fold the egg whites into the batter with a spatula. I use about 1/2 c. of batter per waffle, but it depends on the size of your waffle iron.
I have also used half wheat, but they aren't as sweet. I sometimes add ground flax seed to just my waffle at the end. Gotta keep my cholesterol down!

No comments: