Monday, April 2, 2007

Chinese dinner

We had the missionaries over last night and served up a Chinese feast. The dinner included chicken stir-fry, fried rice and egg rolls. The dessert was provided by Jennifer B (from HP) Edwin Jen and Grace came over on Saturday for Conference and brought a cake to share. We fed the rest of it to the missionaries on Sunday.

The stir-fry recipe is one a made every week during the summer before my senior year of high school. I worked at a Scout camp and this was on the menu. The fun thing about Chinese food is that you can use what ever vegetable you have on hand or what's on sale at the store. It's different every time I make it. The only stable ingredient is the chicken marinade. Also this recipe make enough to feed 10 hungry people so feel free to halve it!

Stir-Fry
1 1/2 lb. chicken, thinly slices
1 whole onion, thinly sliced
1/2 lb. snow peas, stems removed
1/2 lb. mushrooms, sliced
1 lb. bokchoy, thinly sliced
1 lb. bean sprouts
1 lb. broccoli, thinly sliced
8 oz bamboo shoots
8 oz water chestnuts, sliced
1 can baby corn
2 cloves garlic, minced
oil
marinade
4 Tbsp. wine vinegar
4 green onions
4 egg whites
2 Tbsp. ginger root, grated (or 2 tsp. ground ginger)
1 tsp. salt
4 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. corn starch
Marinade chicken for at least 30 minutes.
Use a wok if possible otherwise use a large skillet.
Heat 2 Tbsp. oil - cook garlic (a few seconds only) and set aside. Add chicken cook until done. Add 2 Tbsp. oil. Add vegetable. Cover until half cooked. Return the chicken and garlic and cook until vegetable are done. Server with rice.

For what I made last night I added green and red pepper, celery and carrots. I didn't use bok choy, bamboo shoots, water chestnuts, or baby corn.

Fried Rice
I'm sure you have recipes for fried rice, so I'll just list what I use.
About 6 eggs (I use the yolks discarded from the marinade and 4 whole eggs)
diced veggies - carrots, celery, broccoli, mushrooms, green onions, and frozen peas-if I have them.
Sometimes I add a meat, chopped ham, or cooked pork. You can use shrimp, of course, but I don't because it has lots of cholesterol and it's expensive!
The great thing about this is that you can use leftover rice, or make it earlier and keep it in the fridge.
I usually cook the eggs in a little oil and set aside while I cook the meat and veggies. When they are done I add the eggs and rice and a little soy sauce and warm it up.

Egg Rolls
This is also a recipe that you can add whatever you want to. The basis of the recipe comes from a roommate in college. Her basic recipe was 1 lb of ground beef and 1 lb bag of coleslaw mix. Cook up the meat and drain the fat add the coleslaw mix and cook five more minutes. Use about 1/4 c. mix per egg roll wrapper. Now of course I can't leave well enough alone. I added bean sprouts and green onion. The trick is to not fill them too full and make sure it's sealed well. I use a fry daddy, but a pot of oil works well too. I know it's not very healthy, but it sure is good!

1 comment:

emily said...

emma this is a fun blog! i "often can't leave well enough alone" and mark will ask how much came from the recipe and how much was my own invention (usually more veggies and beans). i'm excited to read your other posts!